Wednesday, January 25, 2006

A Semester-Long Spree

I just finished reading A Trillion Year Spree, by Brian Aldiss, a work which outlines the history of science fiction as well as the books which led to its current state of development.
I'm impressed.
And, as a young orphan once so pitifully queried of an eviller, crueller generation: "Please, Sir, can I have some more?"
So, I made a list of the books that I need to read during the course of this semester. The entire list consists of over 50 books, which is why I've broken it into more digestible list-chunks of about 6-7 books each. Sadly enough, most of the books that I plan to peruse are not available in India. The only solution thus left to a penniless semi-literate subcontinental geek is to download 'em tomes off IRC.
In any case, here's the first list-chunk of books that I intend reading. Let's see how quickly I'm able to finish them. After I finish one list, I plan on posting reviews of each book, most of which I guess will be painfully personal.
But then, such is life.

Without further ado, here are the books:
  1. The House on the Borderland, by William Hope Hodgson
  2. The Night Land, by William Hope Hodgson
  3. The Trial, by Franz Kafka
  4. The Castle, by Franz Kafka
  5. Star Maker, by Olaf Stapledon
  6. The Anubis Gates, by Tim Powers
  7. The Inverted World, by Christopher Priest

4 comments:

sandeep said...

don't remember much about "the trillion year spree" ...just the way he was totally insistent on science fiction being called SF and not sci-fi...

discovered your blog right now :) promise to be a regular

zack said...

this worthless disciple of yours ( kunal kashyap ) inspired by thy voracious desire to drink the ocean of knowledge , has been pushed into making his own read list which goes as follows :
1)midnight's children
2)guerrillas
3)interpreter of maladies
4)lotr
recently read
1)the namesake
2)love in the time of cholera
3)the picture of dorian gray

Sudarshan. A. G. said...

dude... I really have to go thru ur posts to comment... I can't just pretend!

Seems like u got two new readers this post onwards...

Mine is senti/crappy... so.. be-aware!

Anonymous said...

Catch a single word for "greedy muggermuch fooling around with books or e-books" :D ??